Module 13 & 14 Art Exhibit Reflection
The Horror in Beauty is an art exhibit that tells a story. A story about how society has unrealistic beauty standards that it expects women to fit into. The story begins with several pieces showing these beauty standards. These include traits such as big breasts, small waists, quiet mouth, and an overall perfect size 2 appearance. These pieces are followed a single piece titled Interior News Feed, this piece shows how the beauty standards portrayed by the media and society have gone off the rails. Leading women to lose control as well. The next part of this story features several pieces showing how women destroy themselves and lose themselves in order to be accepted as beautiful in our society. The final piece shows what would happen if everyone did conform to society's idea of beauty. The worlds women population would alter and everyone would be forced to look exactly the same. This is symbolized by the "Robot Army".
Overall, society has set standards that little to no people can fit within. This is not right, and why I chose to do an art exhibit on the topic. I would love to be able to actually put this exhibit up so people could visit. I feel as if it could help a lot of people out. Young girls, much like myself, I know, go through this internal battle with how they see themselves. They see what they look like and all they can actually see is the fact that they don't look like those girls on the TV. All they can see are their flaws. I feel this exhibit can show them just how crazy that idea is. That beauty is not determined by society but by one's self. I feel this can also help them realize that they are not alone in this feeling.
To pick the art pieces I used in this show I looked for pieces that made me feel something personally. Whether they reminded me of a time in my life I doubted myself, or they made me feel something completely new. Some I picked because I I personally know the effect they have on a viewer because I actually took a road trip to Pittsburgh to see some. I saw Its All About Me, Not You, in person. And I can truly say that it had me speechless. I had to walk around and peek through the windows to see this piece. I sat there for about an hour trying to examine every little thing. Looking at this piece is very similar to looking at a search and find book. While viewing this piece I remembered mistakes I made or times I did something stupid in order to fit into society. So when I started this project I knew I had to include it.
If this exhibit was real I would put a very slight pink tint on the walls, exactly identical to the one in my slide show. I feel this will further emphasize the ideas society has on beauty. I also would put the pieces in this exact order, because it tells a story. I made sure to mix up the media when it came the pieces. This mixture will ensure that the viewer does not get bored at any point of the show. This will also make the viewer excited because they will not know what to expect. In the slideshow I used an old fashioned text style. I would also use this in the real show. It puts a slight twist on how one reads it because they are reminded of a typewriter. On the slide show I also made it so each picture had a show, so it appeared that they were slightly off the screen. I will also do this in the real show because I feel it emphasizes the pieces even more.
Overall, society has set standards that little to no people can fit within. This is not right, and why I chose to do an art exhibit on the topic. I would love to be able to actually put this exhibit up so people could visit. I feel as if it could help a lot of people out. Young girls, much like myself, I know, go through this internal battle with how they see themselves. They see what they look like and all they can actually see is the fact that they don't look like those girls on the TV. All they can see are their flaws. I feel this exhibit can show them just how crazy that idea is. That beauty is not determined by society but by one's self. I feel this can also help them realize that they are not alone in this feeling.
To pick the art pieces I used in this show I looked for pieces that made me feel something personally. Whether they reminded me of a time in my life I doubted myself, or they made me feel something completely new. Some I picked because I I personally know the effect they have on a viewer because I actually took a road trip to Pittsburgh to see some. I saw Its All About Me, Not You, in person. And I can truly say that it had me speechless. I had to walk around and peek through the windows to see this piece. I sat there for about an hour trying to examine every little thing. Looking at this piece is very similar to looking at a search and find book. While viewing this piece I remembered mistakes I made or times I did something stupid in order to fit into society. So when I started this project I knew I had to include it.
If this exhibit was real I would put a very slight pink tint on the walls, exactly identical to the one in my slide show. I feel this will further emphasize the ideas society has on beauty. I also would put the pieces in this exact order, because it tells a story. I made sure to mix up the media when it came the pieces. This mixture will ensure that the viewer does not get bored at any point of the show. This will also make the viewer excited because they will not know what to expect. In the slideshow I used an old fashioned text style. I would also use this in the real show. It puts a slight twist on how one reads it because they are reminded of a typewriter. On the slide show I also made it so each picture had a show, so it appeared that they were slightly off the screen. I will also do this in the real show because I feel it emphasizes the pieces even more.
Comments
Post a Comment