Module 6 Video Review
1. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
In the first video, Through the Eyes of a Sculptor, Emmanuel shows the viewer the many steps it takes to get a sculpture. Like with most things, one must make several models in order to create a perfect final piece. One must first make a clay mold, followed by a plaster mold, this then gets made into a life size model. Once having a life size model, the steps of creating a plaster model are repeated. Both of these steps, creating a life size clay and plaster mold, are created by different professionals. After all of this, one can finally begin to make the final sculpture. This step is also created by a different professional. Sculptures can be made of a variety of different materials, however, one of the most popular materials is marble. One interesting thing I learned was that different types of rock have different smells. This makes sense because they are composed of different materials, however, I just never thought of it that way. Marble was first used by the Romans, many years ago. The way we work with marble has changed drastically over time. For example, in Roman time marble blocks were transported by many people pulling it. Later in time marble could then be transported by train.
In the second video, Glass and Ceramics, the viewer is shown how blown glass is made, and how stain glass windows are made. Surprisingly, glass is not a solid, but a viscous liquid. When cold it stiffens. Glass can be shaped by using a furnace and heating up the glass. In stained glass, colored pieces of glass are put together in order to create a picture. This glass though colored, is still clear, allowing light to go through the window, uping its beauty. The glass stays together by being placed into lead strips which are soldered together. Stained windows have been used in history to tell stories. For example, most churches have stained glass windows portraying Bible stories. Ceramics though like glass are not the same. They are made from a clay base that is also shaped by fire. I did not realize that there were different types of ceramics, quality depending on the raw materials used within them.
2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
Through the Eyes of a Sculptor, relates to the readings in the text in many ways. This video demonstrates the sculpture making process by giving a visual. It leads the viewer through the process by using an actual sculpture as an example. This allows the viewer to have a better understanding of the creating process that is written in the readings.
Like the first video did for sculptures, this video gave me a better understanding of how glass and ceramics are made. The video further elaborated on what the readings told me. It did this by not only going step by step in the creation of these products, but by also showing the steps. The video did a really good job in explaining this process.
3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the topics: Sculpture, Installation, and Craft?
I really enjoyed the video, Through the Eyes of a Sculptor. It allowed me to better understand the process of creating a sculpture. For example, I did not realize that a sculpture is not just made by a single person. Instead, there are several people who contribute to a sculpture, each contributing person specializes in something different, whether it be hair, hands, or face. They take all of their best skills and combine them in order to make the perfect sculpture. I think that this is beautiful, because no one tries and takes all of the credit. They share in order to give their sculpture it’s best shot at being great. This video added depth to my understanding of craft because of this very action of sharing.
I also enjoyed the Glass and Ceramics video. It gave me a lot of information in a short period of time. I am excited to learn more about stained glass because I hope to someday learn how to do it. My grandfather creates many pieces of stained glass, including lamps and other decorations. He was hoping to teach me, and because I watched this video I feel I would have an easier time learning how to do it.
Comments
Post a Comment