Module 11: Video Review
1. Explain why you selected each of the TWO videos you choose from the selection listed above.
The videos I chose were Dada and Surrealism, and Expressionism. I chose these two video because they sounded the most interesting. I personally enjoy works that have these elements, and I always wondered what helped shift artwork from the classical style that is usually seen. Both these videos emphasize the abstract views that I love.
2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
The first video I watched was Dada and Surrealism. Kurt Schwitter's was one of the first people to use abstract ideas. After the war he created pieces using things he found in his everyday life. This was not anticipated at all and many people did not understand this art. He in fact helped create a larger meaning of the word art, by expanding its definition. This video also explains how arts can have many meanings behind their creations. They do not always have to be serious messages. They can be whatever the artist wants to say. Metaphors, jokes, the possibilities are endless. Another piece I really enjoyed was Dali's painting. He showed the decay of civilization. His view is very interesting and I enjoyed that the fact that the world we live in is not perfect is shown.
The second video I watched was Expressionism. In this video I learned more about how much color can effect a painting. I also learned that color does not have to be used in the traditional ways in which it is usually used. Color can have symbolism and not just be taken literal. I especially enjoyed the painting of the woman ripping her hair out. Her hair was not just red, but instead resembling fire. Showing the emotions she was truly feeling.
2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
These videos added depth to the reading. They provide me with specific examples to ideas that were previously presented to me. I also enjoyed how they provided me with a different take and idea on certain pieces. This allows me to expand how I explain and think about art along with seeing how other people feel and think about art.
3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?
I really enjoyed the films. In the second on a line that really stuck with me was, "I didn't paint what I saw, I painted what I felt". This is truly beautiful, and provides the words I could never really explain. Whenever I create anything it does not look like one would expect. This causes people to question how I thought of it. But in reality I didn't think of it. It was just what I felt. Art is majority composed of feelings. What the artist is feeling as they create, and what the viewer feels as they look on. These feelings do not always match up, and that is okay. Art is this beautiful word full of right answers. Whatever one feels of interrupts is valid and worthy. And there is a true beauty in that.
Comments
Post a Comment