Module 10 Mask
I selected this piece because its bright colors caught my eye. I enjoyed the whole look of this mask and really liked that it resembled more like a hat than the rest of the masks. The use of color draws the viewers eye in to the mask. The feathers then use line to direct the viewers out of the piece making it feel larger than it actually is. Overall the mask gives this feeling of harmony because of the symmetrical feathers and color distribution.
I choose this mask because I liked that nature as used in its creation. I also overall just really liked the whole abstract feel about it. Color is used in this piece with the fact that the mask is black. This causes it to stand out against the neutral colors. This piece also uses variety, the fact that the face is so little compared to the rest of the mask causes the viewer's eyes to go to it.
The main reason I picked this piece is because it was so abstract. I liked that i could not necessarily make out what the piece was based upon. I this piece there is a variety of textures. The contrast between the textures leads the viewers eye around the mask.
When I saw that we had to create a mask I got excited. I personally enjoy when we are able to create things with our hands. While researching masks I saw a lot of influences by nature. Because of this, I immediately thought to create my mask only out of things I found at Delaware Park. On a nice day I went to the park and collected everything interesting I could find. The outline of the mask is not a perfect circle, and is composed of many lines shooting inside of and outside of the mask. This use of line directs the viewer's eye around the piece. The lines pointed inside lead the viewers eye into the piece, and the ones pointed out directs the viewers eye away. The lines then travel to a spiral to create eyes. The use of color directs the viewers eye from the bottom to the top with a sort of pattern. Overall, even though the piece is abstract there still is a feeling or harmony. All of the chaos comes together to make a cohesive mask.
I personally loved making and like my mask. I enjoy how it is abstract, and takes a second to see everything that it is composed of.






Comments
Post a Comment