Module 9 Video Review

1. Explain why you selected each of the TWO videos you choose from the selection listed above.
The videos I chose were the  Power of Art: 1 Caravaggio, and Velazquez . I chose these videos because unlike artists such as Leonardo da Vinci, and Michelangelo, these artists aren't typically house hold names. I grew up constantly hearing about how great Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo were and still are. However,I never heard about Caravaggio and Velazquez. By picking these videos I was hoping to learn more about them, the untold great artists.
2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
In Power of Art: 1 Caravaggio, I was able to learn about Caravaggio's life. His childhood was very sad, because both of his parents died. I also learned that in his time art was all about perfection. However, Caravaggio did not listen to this and instead focused on recreating what was going on in the now. I also like how he never took the time to draw first, he just went straight into the painting. I personally have a great appreciation for this because I am the same in many ways. I hate creating models and sketches before creating the actual piece. I feel this takes the fun out of it and makes it more of work than expression. I believe that the mistakes are actually what shapes the piece into what it was supposed to be.  
In Velazquez, I learned Velazquez was a painter for King Phillip. He mostly painted portraits. I personally would not like to do this. With portraits the main objection is to get exactly right the object of the painting. I however prefer to be creative and create what is out of the normal. Velazquez's only real friend was the king. This ensured his credit-ability as an artist and his safety.
2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
These videos relate to the text because they provide and visual deeper look into both Caravaggio's and Velazquez's lives. They allow me to not only relate to them, but also picture what I would do if I was in their shoes.
3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?
I personally enjoyed Caravaggio's film more than Velazquez's. This is because I am able to relate to him more than Velazquez. After watching these films I can see why these painters aren't house hold names. Velazquez did not create many works that can be enjoyed by many. Meaning most were portraits and can mostly only be enjoyed by people who know the objects of the paintings. Velazquez however, did not conform to the paintings of his time. His paintings take a more literal view. A view many people don't tend to like. The videos allowed me to see two very different painters. This allows me to see that even through time there was no right way to create, and it all solely depends on who the painter is and who the viewer is. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 1

Module 6 Video Review

Module 8 Video Review