Module 7 Video Review
1. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
Architecture: The Science of Design
In this video I learned about the parts of a skyscraper that you do not necessarily see, but can be considered even more important than the parts that you can see. For example, how they are usually built upon a large slab of concrete that stretches out farther than the building actually is. I had never completely realized that the slab of concrete was there. I thought that whatever was there before would be stable enough to hold the building, or that instead of having the slab the corners of the building would be buried deeper in the earth. Now knowing this though, it completely makes sense. One would most definitely want to take as many safety precautions as possible in order to ensure the building does not fall and hurt anybody. I also never thought about how when building these building one must also calculate all of the weight that comes with furnishing it, and with the people who are going to be in the building. This can be very tricky because there is no way to know just how much exact extra weight is going to be added. This instead takes very careful estimating.
Frank Gehry: Architecture as Art
In this video I learned that though building are used for functional purposes, that does not mean that they are not art in themselves. When one thinks of a building they think of the tradition square with square windows, however, the only limit to architecture is ourselves. Buildings can be in any shape and any size. It just takes a bit more work for it to happen. In today's day and age almost anything is possible, and we might as well show this in our architecture.
2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
These videos gave me a better understanding of how modern buildings work and are able to look and function as they do. They added on to the reading by giving me a step by step visual process that was easier to understand then just reading it in a book. They also gave me a further look into the future of architecture.
3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of Architecture?
I personally really enjoyed watching these films. In High School I had thought on becoming an architect, and never really looked into all of the work that went into it, until I had an engineering class. In this class we build buildings out of spaghetti and put them through weather simulators. This led me to draw the conclusion that in order to create the perfect building on needs a perfect formula. These buildings showed me that it takes even more work than that. There are many unknown variables when it comes to building. Now knowing this I do not think I want to be an architect.
4. Why did you choose the films that you watched?
I chose these videos because the titles caught my eye. For the first video, Architecture: The Science of Design, I have always been curious as to how such amazingly tall buildings have the ability to stand and go through wear and tear such as wind and other weather. For the second video, Frank Gehry: Architecture as Art, I chose this one because art was in the title. This video looks past buildings and their function and looks into how the way buildings look and how that also matters. Buildings are some of the largest things that people see everyday, and how they look can change a person mood or make them think.
Comments
Post a Comment