Module 6 Peer Review


1. First blog, Andrea Tasevski: https://andreademmintasevski.blogspot.com/
Second blog, Dorian Griffin: https://fundamentalsofartaed200.blogspot.com/

2. In Andrea's Project 1, she did a great job picking pictures out for the various elements and principles. When looking through her slideshow I was never confused onto why she had labeled the picture what she did. However, like she said herself, many of the pictures could have fell into over categories. For example, the picture she used for contrast is a beautiful woven basket under a interesting pattern resembling bear fur. This photo could of also been classified as texture. Another example, is the picture she used for line. It is of a sailor dress with white and blue strips. This picture easily could have fit under the category of pattern.

In Dorian's Project 1, I really enjoyed the pictures she took. They were all very bright and eye catching. The elements/principles she choose for each one made sense and fit very well. However, in most photographs more than one element/principle is used in order to create an interesting photo. For example, the picture she used for line of the street at night, also could have been used for color. The sky is displaying a surprisingly radiant purple color, which is all I can focus on. The picture she used for movement of the street through the fence, also could have been used for pattern.

3.  In Andrea's Project 2, there were no images that she selected that were the same to mine. However, the painting by Georges Seurat, Etude pour "Le Chahut", was one that I almost selected. Like Andrea, I found the use of tiny points of color next to one another that from far away create this amazing big picture extremely interesting. It is truly amazing how such a small element like dots can create this intriguing piece. Pieces like this show you just how much the little things matter. Because these little things always add up to create the bigger picture.

In Dorian's Project 2,  we both selected the pieces Shark Girl: Never Quite There, however, we both had very different reasons as to why. Dorian picked this piece because it disturbed her. On the other hand, I picked the piece because I saw how beautiful it's message is. I believe the artist wanted his viewers to feel disturbed, like Dorian did. The artist wants his viewers to feel that way because it brings out his message even clearer. Shark Girl is "never quite there" because so many people dismiss her because of how she looks. They just see her and feel disturbed and decided not to take the time and get to know her. The viewer also does this with the piece. They look, feel disturbed, and walk away. Never taking the time to fully understand it. This shows how in society everyone is so quick to judge each other by their looks, never taking the time to get to know people.

4. In Andrea's Project 2, Mark Rothko's, Orange and Yellow, interested me. Andrea made an interesting point about how most people when seeing this state how they could have easily painted this, and how it is not art. I made a similar statement to this in my project. Many people do not understand art, and its not because they can't. It's because they don't take the time to stop and think about the pieces. They simply see an orange and yellow square, and move on. However, that is not how you look at art. Art isn't just what is on the surface. Art is not just what you see at first glance. No, art is how looking at this piece makes you feel, or what you associate with a certain piece. In art what the creator puts on the paper, or canvas, or whatever is in front of you, is merely the door. It is a door that cannot be opened just by a glance. It is a door that protects the story within the piece. This door can only be opened by the people willing to put the effort into opening it. Effort such as talking their time to think and understand what is in front of them, in order to get to the stories inside.

In Dorian's Project 2, Jason Pollack's, Convergence, interested me. When going and looking at this piece I did not take that much time looking into it. Dorian mentioned it I realized I too would like to know more about this piece. It is full of a sort of paint explosions, which being that this was created after World War II, that makes sense. I wonder why the artist picked the certain colors, and why he used some more than others.

5. In Andrea's Project 1, I really enjoyed reading her reflection. By reading this I was able to go through her thought process when she picked out all of these pictures. In some ways it felt as if I was there with her debating on what to pick for what category. Reading this helped me learn because I got to see the project through someone else's eyes, which are very different to my own. It allowed me to look back on own project and see what I could have done differently. In her Project 2, I also learned a lot from her reflection. In her reflection I was able to learn about pieces that seemed uninteresting to me. By hearing how they effected her, I could then see these pieces in a new light, gaining an appreciation for them.

In Dorian's Project 1, I also enjoyed how she talked us through her process of taking pictures. Her style was also different to mine because she planned hers out more than I did. I sort of let the wind take me. Meaning, I went on an adventure and stumbled upon my pictures. She instead planned her pictures and made an adventure around her plan. I also enjoyed reading Dorian's reflect for her Project II. It was extremely interesting to ;earn why she didn't like pieces that I loved. The first one being Shark Girl. I did not realize how many people were disturbed by this. I thought most would just laugh and call it cute. This just emphasized the fact that we all have different opinions, and these opinions effect how we view art.

6. I found the comments on my blog very helpful. When doing these project I never quite know how I am doing, and if I am doing it right. However, the comments on my blog gave me more confidence in myself and my work. They also showed me what I can be doing to better my blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 1

Module 6 Video Review

Module 8 Video Review