Project 1

Album: http://s346.photobucket.com/user/thomasrm02/library/Module%203

Slideshow: http://s346.photobucket.com/user/thomasrm02/slideshow/Module%203

I personally prefer raw, messy, and uncut versions of art. I find it interesting when art captivates how the world really is. The world is not perfectly put together, with straight lines and perfect edges. Instead, it can be this huge scary mess. A mess most people like to push to the side. However, in this mess there is also beauty. Our world is this huge mesh of both the good and the bad. I tired to show this within my pictures.
Contrast: I was just walking through the park, when I saw this Blue Heron. I am not from around here, and where I'm from Blue Herons are pretty common. So common that their even is a restaurant named The Blue Heron. However, I had never before seen one in Buffalo. So as I walking I stumbled upon this guy. The way he stood was peaceful. As I got closer, he took off. This picture embodies contrast. The water is so dark, allowing the Blue Heron to easily stand out with his bright appearance. The plant life below even seems to be blown by his powerful wings.
Value: This picture shows the darker side of the world. The skeleton figure stands tall, appearing as if it is even emerging out of the ground. The value of the picture makes it even more dramatic. The skeleton appears ghostly white against a completely opposite background. The sticks surrounding the skeleton appear to be either rising with the skeleton, or possibly trying to drag it back down.
Balance: In this image the water acts as a mirror. It completely replicates the tress above it. This creates a balance in the picture. If the boat were not in the center anchoring it down, one could flip the picture and not even tell the difference.
Space: When I took this picture I did not realize that an actual spider was in this vase. It was very dark out, and I decided to simply snap a picture with the flash on of the inside of a vase. After my shock of discovering the spider, I took a close look at its web. The empty spaces between the strands of web had created beautifully unique shapes.
Shape: This picture is interesting because it shows the difference between viewing points. While approaching this object, it simply looked like a straight line. However, once closer to it I discovered that it was a bunch of cylinders. The third view of this piece, standing above it, turned into a bunch of circles bunched together. All of these circles bunched together then created another interesting organic shape.
Color: This object stood out because it was the only object in its whole area that had any sort of color. This area contained items such as the skeleton, and other creepy finds. However, the color of it still fit the mood of the area. The shades of blue and purple used reminded me of characters such as Eeyore and Sadness from Inside Out.The fact that the color was also fading and chipping also added to this feeling of death and sadness.
Movement: While at the park, I decided to sit down and read for a bit. So I picked a tree and began to read. When looking over my shoulder I saw this ant running all over the tree. After many attempts to photograph him, this picture finally emerged. In the picture the viewer can easily picture the ant running, because of the shadows around its legs.
Line: This picture was also taken while sitting at that tree. After taking a picture of the ant, I noticed that the sun was beginning to set. So I pointed my phone at it, and that's when I discovered the lines it created in the picture. With the sun being in the middle of the picture, the rays it produces leads the viewer's eye to all points of the pictures, especially the bottom. Once getting to the bottom the trees then lead the viewer's eyes back to the sun.
Texture: This picture just like the last two was also taken at the tree. In fact, the ant even ran under this ledge of bark before I took this picture. This picture is interesting because it does not just feature a flat texture, but instead it shoots out creating a miny ledge.
Form: This pictures features berries on a tree branch. I enjoy this picture because it shows one of the simple beauties. Usually these berries are just ignored until they eventually fall of the tree and are smashed.
Emphasis: When spotting this bright red leaf among regular green leaves, I was surprised. I assumed it had blown over to this are, but it was attached to the plant. When a viewer looks at this picture their eye immediately goes to the red leaf. The sun ray in the background even directs there eye to this leaf, enforcing it as the main object in the picture.
Unity: While walking through the park I spotted his man in his hammock. Upon viewing him I could just imagine how relaxed he felt. The picture shows unity because it features two trees of almost equal size, mutually supporting this man. This allows the viewer to put themselves in this man's shoes, and feel almost as relaxed as he is.
Pattern: This picture subtly shows the principle of pattern. Once getting a closer view, the viewer can in fact see the section of tree, then water, and so on. The tree almost appears to be a fence, not allowing access to the water.
Proportion: This picture shows what most would believe to be the perfect summer day. The two men, small from the distance, are framed by the large trees surrounding them.

Comments

  1. Riley, this is one of the most impressive slideshow projects that I've seen throughout the entire class. Each shot gives the viewer a sense of "nature-filled" serenity, all while providing clear and concise examples of each element and principle. Despite some of the weird and quirky shots (Value, Space, and Color), your slideshow does an effective job of holding the viewer's attention and leaving them highly anticipated for the next slide.

    Overall, great job and amazing shot selection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your picture selection and theme. It shows that the elements and principles don't have to be man-made, there is representation of all of them in nature. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The entire slideshow was cohesive and thematic which was very enjoyable. Similarly to Maxwell, it was nice to see all of the design elements and principles portrayed through nature, which I thought was very creative. In nearly every photo I was able to spot multiple categories in which the photos could have fallen into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your introduction paragraph, you take on the messiness of the world being art was really interesting. I agree with this opinion and believe that there is beauty in both the good and bad. The pictures you shared were incredible, and the descriptions of what you thought felt and why you picked it were incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay... WHAT! This is AMAZING. You totally took this project to a whole new level and it is so intricate and just wow. Your whole analysis of this is incredible and conceptual. If you write or post artwork on your own time to anything I would love to see or read more from you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Module 6 Video Review

Module 8 Video Review