Module 3

1. Describe Color and it's effects on emotions. Use the appropriate vocabulary of color in your posting.
Color is produced when light strikes an object and reflects it back into the viewer’s eye. There is a large variety of colors, and two systems which can be used to create colors. They are additive and subtractive. Additive involves adding color. Subtractive involves mixing both dyes and pigments. Colors have many properties. Some include: hue, intensity, and value. Hue is used to describe certain wavelengths of light and the color they are named. Intensity is how pure a color is. Value is described as how light or dark a color is. Color can affect emotions. One reason being many colors have symbols connected to them. For example, red symbolizes love, and red and green symbolize Christmas. Colors can also be connected to certain cultures. Whenever one thinks of red, white, and blue, they also think of America.
2. What is a theoretical aspect of color that most intrigues/fascinates you? Why?
I am really fascinated by the fact that the objects I use every day do not actually have any color. The fact that they instead just reflect light in a way that makes me see them that way is unbelievable. It makes me wonder if what I interpret as red, is what everyone else sees as well. We all have our own set of eyes, and the fact that they all can interpret this light in a way where we can all agree that a stop sign is red is so mind boggling.
3. In the Color video, what made the biggest impact on you in regards to color and it's effects on emotions?
Vincent Van Gogh used unnatural reds a greens to portray his dislike for a cafe. I never put the two together. I always just assumed when artists used bold colors like this that they just preferred the colors. I never really like the painting because I did not like the color selection. I didn’t like how the colors didn’t mesh. This video taught me that that was the point. They didn’t want me to like these places, because they didn’t like these places either.
4. In the Feelings video, what made the biggest impact on you in regards to color and it's effects on emotions?

Color doesn’t have to be dramatic in order to make a viewer feel something. Color can be used in simple ways and have the same effect. The way an artist uses color when creating a person’s face can most definitely make a viewer feel. If the painting feature people with scared expressions, the viewer then can also feel a sort of fear. In art every little thing counts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 1

Module 6 Video Review

Module 8 Video Review